The Edge Programme
Orley Farm has a rich history but this is not what makes us unique! We pride ourselves on educating pupils beyond entrance exams. Our curriculum is designed to offer breadth in order that we are not simply another London Day School that crams a child to clear the bar. OFS pupils are three dimensional, with curiosity for learning and the skills to fuel that thirst; a moral compass that offers values for life and a co-curricular programme that embeds a desire to always look for new interests.
All of this is aimed to ensure that our children will lead rich and fulfilling lives, whichever path they choose to tread! We call this the Orley Farm Way and a core aspect is delivered through our innovative ‘Edge’ programme.
The programme is unique and has been developed in house, its aim is simple; to provide our pupils with a wide range of activities, presenting them with opportunities to learn and experience many different aspects of life.
The programme is subdivided in to 5 sections: Work Place Skills, Service, The World Around Us, Life Skills and 13 Things to do before 13. Each section takes five weeks and using a rotation programme, will be completed in small groups.
Head of the Edge Programme
ESB Junior Medallion
- The English Speaking Board Junior Medallion is the top grade for junior pupils. Also known as Grade 1 when mapped against other speech exams on the national scale.
Each group will work towards the nominated charity for the term.
- This will involve education about charities and why they are part of society, planning, organising and running a money raising event e.g. cake sale.
- Providing publicity, posters, 2 min assembly slot etc.
- Basic yoga techniques
- Focus on relaxation techniques
- Simple veg/salads that possibly can be grown inside etc.
- Flowerbeds/hanging baskets
- Basic bike maintenance
- Road Safety
- Practical lessons
Pupils will be taught some basic household and personal skills.
- Hosting a meal
- Ironing and shoe polishing
- Basic sewing
Nature / Mini Beasts / Orienteering
- This is a fluid activity depending on the time of year. This may involve looking for insects using bug catchers, making daisy chains, leaf collecting and identifying. It involves the children getting outside and getting mucky – wellies in winter will be required!
- Completing the English Type Junior Course
Students will be assigned a class for the five weeks
- Reading with them / activities in yard
- Eating lunch with them
Chicken Husbandry / Animal Care
Fundamental skills required for the basic care of animals.
- Habitat and feeding
- Handling animals
Pupils work in small groups to produce a short film, no longer than 2 minutes in duration, filmed on an iPad and edited in iMovie.
Each group will work with our nominated school St Malumba’s Primary School, Kamuli, Northern Uganda.
- Contact will be made with the school
- Pupils will find out about different ways of life in another country
- Cultural similarities and differences will be explored
Providing pupils with the tools and confidence to travel safely on public transport.
- Planning and undertaking journeys on the London Transport system including Personal Safety
The course will follow the ‘St. John’s Ambulance Teach the Difference Level 1’
- Using videos, role-play, demonstrations and numerous practical tasks to deliver the program
- A St. John’s Ambulance certificate, valid for three years, is issued on successful completion
Pupils contrinuting to the general upkeep of the school grounds providing them with an insight of what is involved in providing them with the facilities they enjoy.
- Mini-bus washing
A brief introduction to the world of personal finance.
- Financial products
Contact the Elderly
Visiting elderly people and appreciating the benefits to both parties.
- Visits to a local care home with supervised contact
- Hosting a tea party which the pupils will organise
This is a fluid activity depending on the time of year.
- Putting up a tent
- Cooking outdoors
Pupils will be provided with basic instruction on the use of DSLR cameras
- Importance of light and framing
- Understanding depth of field
- Producing a photo book of their work
- Simple meals will be prepared and eaten
- Meal planning and healthy eating